I’ve been told that I’m a good cook, but I typically follow recipes and only tweak things here or there… Tonight was different. I decided to make something with the box of quinoa I had recently bought since I had never had it before, but I wasn’t going to be able to spend a whole lot of time cooking since I had a job interview that took up most of my afternoon. So I opted for the busy person’s best friend: the slow cooker. Combining what I had on hand with the quinoa meant this meal was quick, easy, and resourceful! Not to mention, it turned out deliciously.
- 2 c. dry quinoa
- 4 c. water, chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 packet of taco meat seasoning
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 can corn
- 1/2 c. green peppers, chopped
- 1/2 c. mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 c. red onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno (with or without seeds)
- 2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Chopped cilantro, to taste
- Salsa, sour cream, cheese (optional)
1. Combine all of the ingredients, except salsa/sour cream/cheese in a slow cooker. Stir to evenly distribute ingredients.
2. Cook on low for 4-5 hours or high for 2.5
3. Top with salsa and EAT! (Sour cream and cheese would also be a great topping!)
[Makes 6 large servings]
So simple, especially if you already have chopped veggies on your hand — easy to prep the night before! It was really delicious and I will for SURE be making this meal again. It’s a great meal to use up leftover produce for as well
Have you ever tried quinoa? Do you like it?
- Tonight was my first time ever having it and I LOVED it! Extra protein in a whole grain? What’s not to love?
Share your favorite crockpot recipe with me! I love slow cookers!
Don’t forget to check out the Marathoning for Mortals giveaway HERE